Thursday, April 28, 2011

Similes and Metaphors

http://www.360gradosdecine.com/wp-content/gallery/my-sisters-keeper/2009_my_sisters_keeper_wallpaper_003.jpg 
Simile: A figure of speech in which two fundamentally unlike things are explicitly compared, usually in a phrase introduced by like or as
Metaphor: A figure of speech in which an implied comparison is made between two unlike things that actually have something in common
Similes:
  1. "I pick up the locket, resigned to sealing the deal, and the strangest thing happens--my hand, it just clamps shut like the Jaws of Life." (9) 
  2. "Actually, that's not quite true--right now she doesn't have it, but it's hibernating under her skin like a bear, until it decides to roar again." (10)
  3. “Normal, in our house, is like a blanket too short for a bed.” (12)
  4. "He wraps me in his arms, Kate caught between us like a gasp." (38)
  5. "The last thing I see as I run out of the room is my mother pushing the nurse's call button over and over, as if it's the trigger to a bomb." (61)

Metaphors:
  1. “My dad also says that when flames are licking at your heels you've got to break a wall or two if you want to escape.” (14-15)
  2. "When you only have a hammer everything looks like a nail." (22)
  3. "A woman," I say, "isn't all that different from a bonfire." (48-49)
  4. "When she is tied to the bed, I am her eyes and ears." (58)
  5. "A heroin-thin boy with enough rings in his eyebrows to resemble a shower curtain rod approaches with a pad." (91) 


No comments:

Post a Comment