Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Pen Pal Letter To the Main Character in Memoris of a Teenage Amnesiac

Dear Naomi Porter,
     My name is Emma I and I go to John Carroll High School in Bel Air, Maryland. I’m a freshman this year and have just started school. I am 14 years old and love to read. This summer I read your book, Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin. In addition to reading your book, I also traveled to Ocean City, Maryland, and took a cruise to Bermuda. Well, let me tell you a little about myself. I have never had amnesia or fallen badly like you did.
     I have two siblings and my parents are not divorced. I have seven pets. We both go to high school, but I’m a freshman and you’re a senior. I don’t work on the school yearbook, but I am on the JV cheerleading team. I do have a best friend, but she’s not a guy.
     Well I loved your book and I’m glad everything worked out for you. It must have been hard for you to deal with all those problems while you had amnesia. I can’t imagine what it would be like if it happened to me. It also must have been nice to start over in high school and become a whole new person. Considering that I’m a freshman and it’s the first week of school, there’s no need for me to start over, or want to start over. I think it was right of you to become a new person instead of trying to figure out who you used to be. I think it was definitely easier for you to start over.
     I loved how the author set the story up. It made me want to read more. I think the author did a great job in explaining important events. I know I wouldn’t change anything and nothing was confusing. One of the reasons I love reading is because you can imagine the settings, characters, and voices. I felt like I was right there watching everything.
I have two questions. My first question is did you ever want to just punch something and wish this never happened to you? I bet it was all the time. I know it was super hard on you from reading the book. The one thing I noticed was you never mentioned that you just wanted to give up. My second question is why did you like James and why did you go to California for him? You knew James was trouble and going to California was just a stupid decision. Yes, teenagers have their moments, but running away to California to see your boyfriend was a real dumb move.
One thing that was always on my mind while I read the book was the lack of awareness about teenage amnesia. Amnesia was one of the main topics in this book. I think amnesia can be very harmful to some teenagers. One way to raise awareness about amnesia is to write and post blogs on the topic. In most of my classes, we are using blogs. They are fast, easy, and are read by a lot of people. Another way to raise awareness is to create a web site on teenage amnesia.
Well I hope you’re having a good life with your dad and step-mom. I hope to hear from you soon. Try to be more careful at night.
Sincerely,
Emma I

No comments:

Post a Comment